6.27.2009

The Laundromat

My clothes somersault in the dryer. At thirty
I float in and out of a new kind of horniness,
the kind where you get off on words and gestures;
long talks about art are foreplay, the climax
is watching a man eat a Napoleon while he drives.
Across from me a fifty year old matron folds clothes,
her eyes focused on the nipples of a young man in
silk jogging shorts. He looks up, catching her.
She giggles and blurts out, “Hot, isn’t it?”
A man on my right eyes the line of my shorts, waiting
for me to bend over. I do. An act of animal kindness.
A long black jogger swings in off the street to
splash his face in the sink and I watch the room
become a sweet humid jungle. We crowd around
the Amazon at the watering hole, twitching our noses
like wildebeests or buffalo, snorting, rooting out
mates in the heat. I want to hump every moving thing
in this place. I want to lie down in the dry dung
and dust and twitch to scratch my back. I want to
stretch and prowl and grow lazy in the shade. I want
to have a slew of cubs. “Do you have change for
a quarter?” he asks, scratching the inside of his thigh.
Back in the laundromat my socks are stickling to my
sheets. Caught in the crackle of static electricity,
I fold my underwear. I notice the honey-colored
stains in each silk crotch. Odd-shaped, like dreams,
I make my panties into neat squares and drop them,
smiling, into the wicker basket.

:: Dorianne Laux, Awake (1990)

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear readers,
    How are you? I hope you are doing well.actually It can be a great opportunity for all. If you are interested to learn about Toronto Laundromats you visit us for more details.LAUNDRY NEEDS!!! We Guarantee You 100% Client satisfaction And We Work REALLY DIFFICULT OUR IN TORONTO AND ADDITIONALLY TORONTO COIN LAUNDROMATS OFFERINGS, DRY CLEANING, ALTERATIONS, CLEAR AND FOLD SERVICES.See more at- 24 hour Toronto coin laundromat services

    ReplyDelete