7.29.2009

Orange Bears

The orange bears with soft friendly eyes
Who played with me when I was ten,
Christ, before I'd left home they'd had
Their paws smashed in the rolls, their backs
Seared by hot slag, their soft trusting
Bellies kicked in, their tongues ripped
Out, and I went through the woods
To the smelly creek with Whitman
In the Haldeman-Julius edition,
And I just sat there worrying my thumbnail
Into the cover-What did he know about
Orange bears with their coats all stunk up with soft coal
And the National Guard coming over
From Wheeling to stand in front of the millgates
With drawn bayonets jeering at the strikers?
I remember you could put daisies
On the windowsill at night and in
The morning they would be so covered with soot
You couldn't tell what they were anymore.
A hell of a fat chance my orange bears had!

:: Kenneth Patchen, Red Wine and Yellow Hair (1949)

No comments:

Post a Comment